Citizen Planner Training Collaborative
NEW! 2015 CPTC FALL WORKSHOP SCHEDULE TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON
The Citizen Planner Training Collaborative (CPTC) provides local Massachusetts planning and zoning officials with guidance and tools to make effective decisions regarding their community’s current and future land use. CPTC’s mission is to empower land use officials to make effective and judicious decisions in the areas of development, transportation, natural resources and the environment by providing training and educational opportunities, access to information and resources, and by enhancing cooperation among and integration of land use boards within local government.
CPTC plays an important role in the local planning and permitting process by training and educating Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals members in their roles and responsibilities as board members, the statutes they administer and enforce, and how to establish a sound and legally defensible decision-making process. Given that many communities do not have professional planning staff and that there is significant turnover in planning and zoning board membership, CPTC provides added capacity at the municipal level for these decision makers on an ongoing basis.
- Training workshops delivering a Level I and Level 2 core curriculum, taught across the state by expert attorneys and professional planners.
Level 1 Certificate
- The Roles and Responsibilities of Planning and Boards of Appeal, Parts 1 &2
- Introduction to the Subdivision Control Law (including ANR lots)
- Introduction to the Zoning Act
- How to Write Reasonable and Defensible Decisions
Level 2 Certificate
- Planning with Community Support
- Vested Rights and Nonconforming Structures
- Zoning Exemptions
- Special Permits and Variances
- Annual Conference addressing important land use issues on a more in-depth basis.
- On Demand Training by request to any community wishing to focus on a specific topic.
- Internet access to core training units, a bylaw collection, many planning related links, and training calendars.
CPTC is a member of the Local Capacity Building Partnership – an affiliation of training providers assisting local officials in dealing with land use issues. To learn about training opportunities at CPTC and for more information about this dynamic organization, visit us at www.masscptc.org
Board of Directors
(appointees of signatory organizations)
- University of Massachusetts Extension: Michael DiPasquale
- Mass. Association of Planning Directors: Ralph Willmer, (Chair)
- Mass. Chapter of the American Planning Association:
- Citizen Planner Training Collaborative Advisory Board: Bruce Hughes
- Department of Housing and Community Development: Elaine Wijnja
- Mass. Association of Regional Planning Agencies: Vacant
Members of the Advisory Board
- Bruce Hughes, Chair; Economic Development Specialist, Old Colony Planning Council
- Heidi Ricci, Senior Policy Analyst, Mass Audubon
- Robert Mitchell, Planning Consultant
- Alan Pease, Ashby Planning Board (Treasurer)